Popi is set on a hill, overlooking the Arno valley, in the Casentino area. According to some, the place name derives from "Pupius", a proper name of person, whereas others from "poplo", meaning hill. The first human settlements are dated back to the Roman period and the fist document mentioning the castle of Poppi is dated back to 1169.
The medieval village is dominated by the castle of the Guidi Counts, prototype for Palazzo Vecchio in Florence. It was built in the XIII century and its façade is characterized by two-mullioned windows, with a high tower rising above it at the center. It is surrounded by a defense wall with Guelf embattlements and a broad moat. It houses a library, the Biblioteca Rilliana, which has hundreds of medieval manuscripts and precious incunabula.
Another important element is the Conti Chapel, with a cycle of 14th-century frescoes attributed to Taddeo Gaddi, a pupil of Giotto.
The Propositura, rebuilt in the XVII century, is set on the left side of Amerighi square. It contains a painting depicting the Deposizione by the local painter, Francesco Morandini called Il Poppi and La Resurrezione di Lazzaro by Jacopo Ligozzi (XVI cent.).
The oratory of the Madonna del morbo is a rare example of Tuscan baroque style, with a circular plan and Renaissance portico on three sides.
The Monastero di Camaldoli (XVI century), the Abbazia di San Fedele (XII century), the Sacro Eremo di Camaldoli and the Church of Santissima Annunziata worth a visit.