Questo sito o gli strumenti terzi da questo utilizzati si avvalgono di cookie necessari al funzionamento ed utili alle finalità illustrate nella cookie policy. Se vuoi saperne di più o negare il consenso a tutti o ad alcuni cookie, consulta la cookie policy. Chiudendo questo banner, scorrendo questa pagina, cliccando su un link o proseguendo la navigazione in altra maniera, acconsenti all'uso dei cookie.

Accetta

 

english

you are here: Home Lombardy Garda's Lake Calvagese della Riviera

Stay

Most viewed in Calvagese della Riviera

  • La Torre Wines Lombardy

    The Farm "La Torre" is located nearby an ancient tower which stands guard over the river Chiese . It is constituted by two buildings; the farm house and the manor house, dating respectively from the 17th and 18th centuries. The frontal gallery, which...

Print this page Send to a friend by e-mail

Share:
fb-like
g-plus

Calvagese della Riviera

Description

Town in the province of Brescia, located on a hill left of the River Chiese in the North-western morenica area of Benaco, from where it is possible to enjoy a breathtaking view of Lake Garda. It is composed of the main centre (Calvagese) and the districts of Mocasina and Carzago, the latter was an independent town until 1927.
Inhabited since the Roman period, as evidenced by the findings of some houses, during the Middle Ages, castles were built to defend the population from attacks by the Hungarians. At present only ruins remain of the Castle of Calvagese, while of the Castle of Carzago are still evident in four round towers, the fortified tower at the entrance has been transformed into a bell tower during the XVI century.
According to some historians, the town's name derives from "Calvasius," referring to the name of its first Roman land owner.
The Parish Church of St. Peter in Antioch, built in the XIV century and completely remodeled in 1742. Inside it preserves a series of frescoes of the XV and XVI century, a "Madonna with Child" by Jerome Romanino, the "Deposition" by Zenon Veronese and paintings of the Venetian school.
Interesting is also the Parish Church of San Lorenzo, built in the XVIII century from a design of the architect Marchetti, next to the ancient church, of which remains only a capital and the portal. Inside are preserved paintings by Gallina and Cossali, as well as an altarpiece by Paolo da Caylina il Giovane.

Map

This town web page has been visited 30,072 times.

Choose language

italiano

english