Questo sito o gli strumenti terzi da questo utilizzati si avvalgono di cookie necessari al funzionamento ed utili alle finalità illustrate nella cookie policy. Se vuoi saperne di più o negare il consenso a tutti o ad alcuni cookie, consulta la cookie policy. Chiudendo questo banner, scorrendo questa pagina, cliccando su un link o proseguendo la navigazione in altra maniera, acconsenti all'uso dei cookie.

Accetta

 

english

  • Residence dei due Porti Sanremo

    Residence dei due Porti Sanremo

    Quality Guest House Apartments Accommodation Sanremo Liguria Italy

  • Hotel Flora Venice

    Hotel Flora Venice

    Quality 3 Stars Hotel Charming Bed and Breakfast Accommodation in Venice Veneto Italy

  • Dalisa Holiday Farm

    Dalisa Holiday Farm

    Holiday Famhouse Rooms Bed and Breakfast Apartments Accommodation Neapolitan Riviera Tramonti Amalficoast Salerno Campania Italy

  • Hotel Luna Convento Amalfi

    Hotel Luna Convento Amalfi

    Quality 4 Stars Hotel Accommodation Restaurant Events and Weddings Amalfi Neapolitan Riviera Amalfi Coast Salerno Campania Italy

  • La Sabbiona Farmhouse and Winery

    La Sabbiona Farmhouse and Winery

    Bed and Breakfast Accommodation Holiday Farm Guesthouse Quality Wines Faenza Ravenna Emilia Romagna Italy

you are here: Home Liguria Coast of the Palms Villanova d'Albenga

Stay

Visit a locality browsing the menu on the left. In each Italy area you can then choose the best touristical structures we are proposing.

More About

Here you can find info and tips about the area you are visiting.

Print this page Send to a friend by e-mail

Share:
fb-like
g-plus

Villanova d'Albenga

Description

A Medieval town in the province of Savona, located at the confluence of the rivers Arroscia and Lerrone. It features a board shape structure with one central road that cuts the town in two and this is crossed at right angles by six minor roads that divide groups of houses in perfectly symmetrical areas. There are fourteen distinguished residential blocks, all long and narrow, that feature an evocative play of specularity. The intent of the planners was to create a plan perfectly square, but the failure is due to the geologic difficulties of the Ligurian territory: in fact, two sides of the perimeter of Villanova appear to be irregular. However, the town's urban plan makes it one of the most beautiful places in Liguria. The whole village is surrounded by fortified walls within which, along the entire route, runs a communicated road "sottomurale". The walls are still present in good part, like the ten towers and two gates. At the center of the village is situated the ancient well, built in the Middle Ages and symbol of Villanova, which until 1930 was also the only source of drinking water for the inhabitants.
The village was built in 1288 by the inhabitants of the town of Albenga, that during the XII and XIII centuries, founded smaller villages towards the inland, to defend its land upstream. Villanova, allied to Albenga, followed the same fate and historical events. Submitted to the control of the Republic of Genoa, it became part of the Kingdom of Sardinia in 1815 and then part of the Kingdom of Italy since 1861.

Not to miss:
The Parish Church of Santo Stefano of the XII century in Romanesque style, frequently refurbished over the centuries. It features one nave and two major aisles and preserves frescoes from the XV and XVI century and an organ of the XVIII century. It is flanked by a Bell tower of the XIII century.
The Church of Santa Caterina da Siena, which features a single nave and preserves inside many artworks, including a fresco of 1632.
The Church of Our Lady of Grace in the Baroque style, which houses a wooden statue of 1804 by the sculptor Barabino of Genoa.
The Oratory of San Giovanni Battista with frescoes of the XIV and XV century and a statue made by Giovanni Battista Draghi of 1834.
The Church of Santa Maria della Rotonda or Santa Maria del Soccorso, built in 1520 on the main road to Garlenda, is in Renaissance style and is flanked by a Bell tower.
The Shrine of Our Lady of the Snow, the Church of San Bernardo and the Oratory of St. John the Baptist in the village of Ligo.
The Church of San Marco in the historic village of Coasco.
The Church of Our Lady of the Assumption in the village of Bossoleto.

Map

This town web page has been visited 14,140 times.

Choose language

italiano

english