Questo sito o gli strumenti terzi da questo utilizzati si avvalgono di cookie necessari al funzionamento ed utili alle finalità illustrate nella cookie policy. Se vuoi saperne di più o negare il consenso a tutti o ad alcuni cookie, consulta la cookie policy. Chiudendo questo banner, scorrendo questa pagina, cliccando su un link o proseguendo la navigazione in altra maniera, acconsenti all'uso dei cookie.

Accetta

 

english

you are here: Home Liguria Coast of the Palms Albenga

Most viewed in Albenga

  • Bio Vio Wines Ligury

    Our Firm has been producing grapes in the sunny hinterland of Albenga since time immemorial, and, starting from the year 2000 harvest, we have begun to make our own wine. Within a few years - thanks to the excellent quality obtained - our wines have become...

Print this page Send to a friend by e-mail

Share:
fb-like
g-plus

Albenga

Description

The antique "Albium Ingaunum", as the Romans called it, is located in the homonymous plain at the mouth of the river Centa of the Eastern Ligurian Riviera. The town in the province of Savona, offers a fusion of different styles and building materials such as the stone of Cisano, a dark stone brick with a clear medieval imprint.
It was founded by Ingauni and was an ally of the Carthaginians against Rome during the Second Punic War (third century BC). Conquered by the Romans in 181 b.C., the settlement obtained the Roman citizenship and status of the city council. In the V century A.D. the city was invaded and partially destroyed by the Goths and later rebuilt on the orders of Constanzo, a general of Honorius. At the beginning of the XII century Albenga proclaimed itself a free city and in the XV century it was submitted to the Republic of Genoa, of which, in the following centuries, it suffered the same destiny but also enjoyed the same periods of prosperity.
On the typical Roman Castrum, in the late Middle Ages developed a city with palaces and towers. Today Albenga has a beautifully preserved historic center, for the most part still surrounded by walls.

TO VISIT:
Shrine of Our Lady of Pontelungo, erected in 1722.
Cathedral of St. Michael, originally early Christian building, later reconstructed in Romanesque style.
The Baptistery, built by Constanzo in the V century A.D.
The Bell tower, the Town Hall and the Tower of City Hall, all edified in brick.
The small square dei Leoni (entitled to the Lions).
Piazza IV Novembre.
Via Ricci, Via Medaglie d'Oro and the Loggia dei Quattro Canti, the auction house, the houses of the Cepollini, the palaces of the Rolandi, house of the Stucchi and numerous towers.
Pontelungo, outside the town of medieval origin.
The fort, that dates back to 1586, located in the sea.
The public baths of the Roman Ages.

Map

This town web page has been visited 41,157 times.

Choose language

italiano

english