District of the town of Finale Ligure, near Savona, Finalborgo is situated at the confluence of the rivers Pora and Aquila. The town presents a composite and irregular plan, due to the development of the districts in subsequent periods, with the oldest one located near to the fortified walls. All the buildings, date to a period after 1448: the town, in fact, was completely destroyed by fire and rebuilt at that time. In defense of the village, a massive system of walls with semicircular towers and the Gavone Castle on the hill peak were built in the XV century. Two gates (Porta Reale, remodeled in 1700, and the oldest Porta Testa), both preceded by a bridge are the main access to the village:. The main centre is very elegant and the houses are decorated in Renaissance style, with colorful façades and large balconies. Overall, the impression is of being in a place where Spanish and Genoese style finely mix together. Original squares, built at different times and linked together. Of major interest the archway located at the beginning of Via Torcello, that preserves the original feature of the Middle Ages when the arches were used to connect the houses to each other and strengthen their foundations against massive catapult attacks.
The town was built around 1200 and became a thriving commercial center under the domain of the Marquis Del Carretto. The marquisate represents an element of instability in the neighboring territories all subject to Genoa, that brought to an inevitable war, that culminated in the total destruction of the town by the Genoese and the possession shared between individuals. In 1496 the town returned under the rule of the Marquis, then passed to the Spanish until 1713, when it was included in the Republic of Genoa.
Not to miss:
The remains of the fortified walls of the XV century, with battlements and towers. One of these towers preserves a polygonal bell, that belongs to the adjoining Church of San Biagio. Refurbished in the XVII century, preserving its medieval features, inside it preserves an important collection of the best works of art. There is a large altarpiece, entitled to St. Catherine, a rare example of a retablo, according to the Spanish style.
The Monastery of St. Catherine was built in the XIV century by the family Del Carretto. It features two adjacent cloisters and a chapel with frescoed arcades.
The Civic Museum, housed in the complex of Santa Caterina, in which are kept many finds of prehistoric origin.
The Town Hall, a magnificent example of the Renaissance with traces of Gothic style.
The Palace Arnaldi with its beautiful frescoes, the Palace del Tribunale and the Palace Brunenghi.
The fortress of Castel San Giovanni, built in the XVII century by the Spanish to protect the village and the Gavone Castle.