The town's name may derive from the Latin word " vetus "(old). It is a mountain village located at over 1000 meters above sea level and consists of 85 villages, of which some are uninhabited, which extend from the Dora Baltea up to the Becca d'Aver. Situated in a superb sunny position, it enjoys a mild climate and the surrounding woods and the lush flora make it a particularly pleasant area for long walks with a direct contact with the environment .
The area was inhabited since the Iron Age, as evidenced by prehistoric findings. Also Verrayes was known by the Romans who invaded and conquered the territories, populated by Salassi, and distribute them among the soldiers. Their local presence is attested by the discovery, near the church Diemoz, of a Roman sarcophagus, made of granite and a slab of a gravestone, fragments of pottery and a tomb near Marcillier.
The feudal lords in 1191 surrendered to the Count of Savoy Thomas I, who in 1227, took the territory of Verres under his protection. In 1238 the Val d'Aosta was proclaimed Duchy by the Emperor Frederick II, in favor of Amadeus II, Count of Savoy. In 1304 the Lords of Cly, Boniface and Godefroy, indebted to the wars between local rulers, imposed duties to their subjects in order to cope with large debts accumulated. The people gave them a considerable sum and in sign of gratitude, they condoned penalties and taxes and appointed a council consisting of 40 men with the task of administering the assets of the House and to appoint a economist and a treasurer. In this way no more wars were allowed without the prior placet of the council of forty. This inability of the Lords of Cly to administer properly their fiefs gave their own vassals, the possibility to become more powerful. In 1315 Boniface, Pietro of Cly and Giovanni of Nus met to define the borders of their fiefdoms. In the second half of the XIX century, a decree of the Royal délégation determined the boundaries of Nus, Verrayes and Chambave.
Not to miss:
The Parish Church of San Martino and Santa Barbara. The original structure probably dates back to 790, the existence of the parish is documented by a bulletin of Pope Lucius III dating back to 1184. In 1872 it was decided the demolition of the old building to make way for a new larger one. On 30 June 1872 the pastor, Samuel Duc, laid the foundation stone of the new church which was consecrated November 12, 1877. In October of 1885 the building was badly damaged by a typhoon, that removed the roof which was found at more than 100 meters away. The Bell tower has a mighty frame, square base, two rows of windows and is surmounted by a spire-shaped cone.
The adjoining cemetery monument was built in 1878.
The Oratory of Charriere.
The Parish of Diemoz, built in 1190, features interesting findings.
The Chapel in Grumey, located on an ancient chapel, dedicated to San Rocco. It was built in 1868.
The Chapel in Grand Villa built probably in 1600.
The Chapel in Vieille, whose construction dates back to the XV century.
The Chapel in Vencorère founded in 1752.
The Chapel in Lozon
The stronghold mansion in Marseiller, that belonged to the family Saluard and dates from the XV century. It was frescoed by Jacquemin d'Ivrea.
The Chapel in Marseiller erected by the family Saluard, who already lived in the Val d'Aosta in the XIV century. Frescoed around 1441 by Giacomo Ivrea.
The Natural Park, a vast 12 acre ground, created in the early XX century, precisely between 1905 and 1908, by Canon Vescoz, writer, geologist and scientist, native of these lands, who planted here 11,000 plants, including exotic species , on a barren ridge, called Pointys.
The Natural Area of Lozon located 1500 meters of altitude. At the center of a valley, covered with grass, a the large pond with the highest number of water and marsh plants of the entire region.
The Grenier (antique storage houses) in Voisinal and Gros-Ollian.