The town's name probably derives from the personal name "Cambo" or "camb" (curved) or from "campus aquae". It is a town located at just over 480 meters above sea level, on the sunny hills, a few miles from Saint Vincent. The territory is vast and made up several districts surrounded by vineyards, thanks to the favorable climate and low rainfall, in the area high quality wines such as Moscato di Chambave are produced, known since the XV century and valued at national and international levels. This wine couples divinely with the excellent local food products and over the centuries it has often been the subject of historical citations: it seems that some barrels of Muscat had been donated to Bona of Bourbon, mother of Amadeus VIII of Savoy.
The area was inhabited since remote times: witness are the traces of mining activities of the Iron Ages found in the area of Mont Tsailloun, bordering with Pontey. The Romans have left signs of their presence all over the territory, giving their names to the settlements and works, such as the consular road that passed just above the village, of which remains a milestone in front of the Parish church. Historical data shows that the original village was located further West, but a landslide destroyed the village and it was rebuilt where it currently is. During the medieval period the village was under the jurisdiction of the lords of Cly dominant on a large fief that includes, in addition to Chambave, Saint Denis, the whole Valtournenche, Verrayes, Antey Saint Andre, Torgnon, Diemoz.
Not to mss:
The Parish church of San Lorenzo, mentioned already in 1100, is one of the oldest in the region. Of the ancient Romanesque church with a nave decorated with frescoes, remains only the lower part of the Bell tower, the present structure is from the mid XVIII century. In 1832 the altar piece depicting the patron saint, by the artist Luigi Artari was inaugurated and at the end of the XIX century the nave was lengthened and two side chapels were added. Inside it preserves artworks by the sculptors Boso and Gilardi, such as: an altar of the Virgin of the Rosary and another one dedicated to St. Rocco and St. Sebastian, embellished with paintings dating back to 1623 by Vincenzo Costantino di Biella, a painter of the court of Savoy. Inside the sacristy there is a bust depicting San Lorenzo, by the sculptor Molino, dating from the XIX century.
The Parish Museum recently set up inside the church, preserves the ancient objects of liturgical use, including a copper-silver reliquary casket, crosses the XV-XVI century, ancient liturgical books, a painting from the late XVII century.
The Chapel of Notre Dame de Pitié founded in 1676, preserves an altarpiece of the artist Piccon, dating back to 1680.
The Chapel of Santa Margherita, dating prior to 1629, retains an altarpiece depicting the bust and the saint of the XVIII century.
The Chapel of Notre Dame des Neiges at Arlier, entitled to St. Leonard, which already existed in 1613, keeps a bust depicting San Leonardo dating from the XVIII century.
The Chapel of San Pantaleone in Septumian, which already existed in 1644. The building was destroyed by a flood and rebuilt in 1855 and houses a statue of the Virgin, the only item saved from the flood.
The Chapel of Santa Grata and Gottardo in Champlan of 1735.
The Chapel of St Gregory and Anthony of Padua in Chandianaz of 1769.
The Chapel of Notre Dame de la Salette in La Poya, of the XIX century.
The Chapel of Saints Joseph and Lorenzo in Guet 1884.
The Chapel of Notre Dame de Lourdes and St. Grata and Theodulus in Fosses built in 1889.
Saint Louis Roi de France and Saint Georges of 1676.
Mansion Chalfior dating back to 1524.
Mansion Guidon, built in 1550.
Mansion Gaillard House of 1600, whose façade is embellished with numerous windows in late Gothic style.
Mansion Ronchas, built in 1640.