The town's name derives from the Latin "pons" in the form of "ponticulus" (bridge).
Town situated on the right bank of the Dora Baltea at the foot of Mont Ruvic, Mount Giron, Monte Barbeston and the Cima Nera, completely surrounded by green meadows and protected by thick woods of chestnut, that at the highest heights, give way to pines, larches and firs. Pontey is located at only 24 kilometers from Aosta, opposite to the municipalities of Saint Denis and Chatillon. Through its territory flow the streams of Vau, Eau Noire and Molinaz and presents mineral deposits exploited till the XVIII century, of which traces of the caves and tunnels of abstractions are still visible. The trail to the Valley of Valmeriana, that leads from Alps Valmeriana to Bellecombe, features the remains of ancient mill stones, some only sketched in the rock and signs of the exploitation that took place in this area for centuries, for the particular stone, easy to work and used to produce earthenware pots and mill grinders.
The discovery of the remains of early historic settlements in Tsaillonet, in Banchet and in Torin and a grave in Proley, evidence the presence of inhabitants in the area since ancient times, near Chambave mining was already a main resource since the late Bronze Age. During the early medieval period, Pontey was a possession of the Lords Visconti di Aosta, and later it was ceded to the Lords of Challant-Ussel and Chatillon. For many years it was divided into two parts: one dominated by the lords of Ussel, the other from the Chatillon. During the fascist period in 1928, Pontey was united to Chatillon and a new independent municipality was reconstituted until 1946.
Not to miss:
The Parish Church of San Martino, built in 1764 on an existing church, previously erected in 1179. It has undergone several restorations and features a rectangular shape plan with a square shaped presbterio and two side chapels. Inside it preserves a main altar of 1833 by the Valsesian sculptor Giacomo Gilardi, Giulio Danieli of Varese and the painter Luigi Artari of Aosta and two carved and painted side altars of 1764, A valuable cross dating to the second half of the XV century, is exposed in the Sanctuary. The small bell tower, probably dating from the XV century, was enlarged and raised in 1874 and covered with a spire 11 feet high. The tower features four pinnacles, a belfry, fitted with double windows, which houses four bells, of which the oldest dates back to 1516 and a clock placed in 1847.
The Chapel of Notre Dame de Pitié in Torin, founded in 1722, was decorated by François Gallizia of Chatillon.
The Chapel of the Cross in area Valerod, built in 1630, has undergone several restorations.
Le Grand Fourneau, relic of the XVIII century, situated near Plan-Coca.
The Antique Rascard, houses built of wood and stone with brick ovens, still visible today in some villages.
The trail of Valmeriana with its mill stone extraction area.