Questo sito o gli strumenti terzi da questo utilizzati si avvalgono di cookie necessari al funzionamento ed utili alle finalità illustrate nella cookie policy. Se vuoi saperne di più o negare il consenso a tutti o ad alcuni cookie, consulta la cookie policy. Chiudendo questo banner, scorrendo questa pagina, cliccando su un link o proseguendo la navigazione in altra maniera, acconsenti all'uso dei cookie.

Accetta

 

english

you are here: Home Emilia Romagna Romagna D'Este and Faenza's Lands Russi

Stay

Visit a locality browsing the menu on the left. In each Italy area you can then choose the best touristical structures we are proposing.

Print this page Send to a friend by e-mail

Share:
fb-like
g-plus

Russi

Description

Town in the province of Ravenna, that thanks to the valuable archaeological finds unearthed in the boundaries of the municipality, it is possible to attest with absolute certainty that the area was inhabited since the VII century B.C. This presence is confirmed by some burial tombs dating from the same period, found under the walking surface of a Roman villa, that belonged to antique populations prior to the Etruscans. After the fall of Roman Empire and the Barbarian invasions, the area was gradually abandoned. In the Dark Ages it was the center of contention between Faenza and Ravenna and in the second half of the XIV century, Guido da Polenta, proceeded to build the "castrum Russi" and fortified the borders of the territory of Ravenna, to defend it against attacks by Manfredi of Faenza. Over the following centuries, the castle was subject of siege and destruction by the troops of Cesare Borgia, the forces of the League of Cambrai, of Gaston de Foix and the army of Charles of Bourbon, on his way to Rome. In 1568 the town returned under the control of Faenza, and, later, was ceded to the Papal State. In 1859 it was annexed to the Kingdom of Savoy.
Sites of Interest:
- the beautiful Old Town center, with its XVIII century style, due to the reconstruction of several buildings, following the disastrous earthquake of 1688;
- the Archaeological Complex of a Roman Villa, a large farm complex of more than 3500 square meters, founded in the Augustan Ages and active until the IV A.D.. Among the several buildings, enclosed by a porch, stands a residential area with floor mosaics of great beauty and wooden service rooms, while the wall paintings and pieces of furniture found, are collected in the archaeological section of the museum;
- the remains of the XIV century fortress (the main building and two towers), ordered by Guido da Polenta;
- the XVIII century Church of St Apollinaris, overlooking Piazza Farini, in which are preserved remains of XIII century frescoes from the ancient church of Saint Apollinaris;
- the Church of Santa Maria dei Servi, a re-elaboration of style, completed in the XVIII century, designed by the famous architect of Faenza, Gioacchino Tomba;
- the VIII century Parish Church of Santo Stefano in Tegurio;
- the Abbey of San Pancrazio, dating from the VIII century and, according to tradition, built by Galla Placidia, daughter of Emperor Theodosius;
- Palazzo San Giacomo, one of the finest noble Summer residences in Emilia Romagna. It was built in the XVI century by the family Rasponi. The current name comes from a small family chapel, designed by Cosimo Morelli in the XVIII century.

Map

This town web page has been visited 16,484 times.

Choose language

italiano

english