Questo sito o gli strumenti terzi da questo utilizzati si avvalgono di cookie necessari al funzionamento ed utili alle finalità illustrate nella cookie policy. Se vuoi saperne di più o negare il consenso a tutti o ad alcuni cookie, consulta la cookie policy. Chiudendo questo banner, scorrendo questa pagina, cliccando su un link o proseguendo la navigazione in altra maniera, acconsenti all'uso dei cookie.




you are here: Home Emilia Romagna Romagna D'Este and Faenza's Lands Bagnacavallo


Visit a locality browsing the menu on the left. In each Italy area you can then choose the best touristical structures we are proposing.

Print this page Send to a friend by e-mail




One of the major cities of Art of the hinterland of Ravenna, at a few kilometers from the Adriatic coast and at the foothills of Emilia, Bagnacavallo is one of the most interesting tourist destinations in its province. The town's name derives, according to the local legends, from a thermal spring that would have cured the horse of the Emperor Tiberius. The historic urban centre is characterized by an original medieval layout, with long arcades and important palaces. The first traces of a settlement date back to the late Bronze Age, while subsequently here settled Umbrians, Etruscans, Gauls and Romans. In the early Middle Ages, the territories were occupied by uncultivated lands and forests, in fact, the few documents of this period report the presence of a "magnum forestum. Between the IX and X centuries began an intense and systematic deforestation and reclamation of wetlands. After the rule of Bologna and Faenza, the city passed to the Earls of Cunio, while later to the Manfredi, the Papal States and finally it was assigned to the Captain Giovanni Acuto. From 1440 to 1598 the town was ceded to the Este family, then it returned to the Papal States until the unification of Italy.

Sites of Interest:
- the Baroque Church of the Suffrage, built by the Jesuits and dedicated to St. Ignatius of Loyola. Built in baroque style, it features an atrium with portico with columns in Istrian stone;
- the Collegiate Church of San Michele Arcangelo, although it has a Baroque style, the first records date back to the XII century. The interior features three naves with a polygonal apse and stained glass windows and preserves an altarpiece by Bartolomeo Ramenghi, who was known as "the Bagnacavallo";
- the Church of San Pietro in Sylvis, a splendid example of exarchal architecture, is one of the best preserved Romanesque churches of Ravenna. Dating from the VII century, it was probably built near a pagan temple dedicated to Jupiter. XIV century frescoes attributed to Pietro da Rimini are the main feature of the apse, while in the chancel there is a marble stone of Greek origins of the VI century and an VI century altar in the crypt;
- the Church del Carmine, built in 1671 in Baroque style and enriched with neoclassical elements. Inside is preserved a valuable XVI century painting by Giovanni Battista Ramenghi called "Bagnacavallo jr";
- the Church of San Giovanni, built in the XIII century in Romanesque-Gothic style, and rebuilt in the XVII century after the damage suffered by a violent earthquake. Adjacent is located the Convent of the Capuchin nun order. Here, in 1882, the little Allegra died, daughter of English poet Lord Byron;
- the XIII century Complex of San Francesco, restored and rebuilt several times over the centuries;
- the Palazzo Comunale, built in 1791 and designed by Cosimo Morelli. Erected on the ruins of Palazzo Brando Lini, it features three bas-reliefs of the XV century, located in the mayor's office). The façade is in neoclassical style;
- the XIII century Palazzo Vecchio, which was renovated several times, after the bombings during the World War II;
- Palazzo delle Opere Pie (1728).
- Palazzo Longanesi Cattani, which features an elegant façade and portico;
- Palazzo of the Abundance (1675), within which was built the first theater in the city;
- the XVII century Palazzo Folicaldi;
- Palazzo Graziani (XVIII century).
- Palazzo Capra, one of the most elegant in the city;
- the Civic Tower, erected in the XIII century and used as a prison between the XVII and XIX centuries (here was imprisoned the famous bandit Stefano Pellori, also known as "the Passatore");
- the Torraccia (XIII century), one of the oldest buildings in the city, was once part of the defense system of Bagnacavallo;
- the Castellaccio, an ancient fortification, whose origins probably date back to the XII century;
- the Teatro Goldoni, opened in 1845. The main project is of the Bolognese architect Filippo Antolini, the frescoes of the interior are attributed to Francesco Migliari of Ferrara and the curtain in painted in tempera to Antonio Muzzi;
- the Old Gallery, a public passage, which connects Palazzo Vecchio to Via Trento Trieste;
- Porta Pieve;
- Porta Superiore;
- the Eco Museum of the marshland reclamation;
- the Etnoparco Villanova of Capanne;
- the Civic Museum of the Capuchin nuns.


This town web page has been visited 20,906 times.

Choose language