Town in the province of Ravenna, Castel Bolognese is an important agricultural and industrial center located along the Via Emilia, halfway between Faenza and Imola. Founded by the members of the Senate of Bologna in the late XIV century as a defensive outpost to their lands, it was tied to the regional capital of Emilia until 1700. In 1794 Pope Pius VI decreed the separation from Bologna and the town was incorporated into the territories of Ravenna. The original fortified walls, destroyed by the troops of Cesare Borgia, were subsequently rebuilt.
Sites of Interest:
- the Church of San Petronio, which in the XV century was almost completely remodeled by the architect Cosimo Morelli of Imola and inside are preserves valuable artworks in clay by Alfonso Lombardi, a statue of San Petronio (a gift of the city of Bologna to Pope Pius IX), a painting by Felice Giani and a cross in silver and copper;
- the XVIII century Church of San Francesco, which has been refurbished several times, especially after the damage caused by the heavy bombing of the Second World War. Inside are preserved important artworks of the XVII and XVIII centuries;
- the Church of St. George the Martyr, built in 1581 together with the adjoining convent and features a simple gabled façade, that overlooks a square narthex and porch with three sides;
- the Church of San Cristoforo, which is documented since 1455 and was entirely rebuilt after the bombings of World War II;
- the Church of San Sebastiano on the Via Emilia, built in brick in the XVI century, it features a rose window and a fine portal, which opens on to a row of arches. Devoted to the lost at war, inside it preserves frescoes by Girolamo the Younger from Treviso;
- the Church of the Nativity of the Blessed Virgin (1659);
- the Church of St. Michael the Archangel, already known since 854, it was entirely rebuilt after the bombings of World War II;
- the Church of San Pietro, cited in 1289, was rebuilt several times in later centuries;
- the Church of Santa Maria della Pace, originally built in 1171, was rebuilt after World War II;
- the National Monument to the Fallen for the Reclamation of minefields;
- the XV century Mill of Scodellino.