The current name dates from the XII century and refers to the fortress overlooking the town. A mountain village in the province of Cuneo, located a few kilometers from the main regional centre, at the point where the flat valleys of the Gesso and Vermenagna intersect, not far from Valdieri and Robilante. The region of Roccavione consists of several villages and is characterized by the presence of a hill called San Shroud, on which lie the remains of an ancient tower which dominates on the main centre. Upstream it is surrounded by chestnut woods and downstream from wide lawns. The area is characterized by a very varied fauna and many kinds of flowers. There are numerous opportunities to practice trekking between typical villages with abandoned stone buildings, the castle near the Bec d'Arnostia, Bec Berciassa, home to an Iron Age settlement and enjoy the free climbing of the local peaks such as Bec Porte. It is also known as the land of sundials
The first documented report dates back to 1041: the town is mentioned in a charter of Henry III, where its inhabitants figure employed by the monastery of Pedona. In the second half of the XII century it was ruled by feudal lords related to the Marquis of Saluzzo and the end of that century it passed to the Marquis of Monferrato, who ceded it to Boniface, son of Manfredo di Saluzzo. In the early XIV century it became a district of Cuneo, and later the Savoy, granted the fief to the Marquis of Ceva.
Not to miss:
- the Church of Santa Croce in Baroque style, was quoted for the first time in a document of the second half of the XVI century. Built on an old plague hospital, it was demolished and rebuilt. The Sacristy and Bell tower were built at different times during the XVIII century. Inside it preserves a Greek cross plan, a very large choir and frescoes dating back to 1788 of Giovanale Bongiovanni of Pianfei
- the Parish Church of the Visitation of the Blessed Virgin, already documented in 1583.
- the Chapel of St. Rocco and St. Blaise of the XVI century.
- the Chapel of the Assumption dating to the early XVII century, was built on the remains of an already existing sacred building.
- the XVIII century Chapel of Saint Dalmazzo, built to mark the place where the saint was martyred, as reported by a XVII century pylon.
- the Chapel of St. Bernard and Mark probably built in 1681, year of the canonization of St. Bernard.
- the Chapel of St. Michael attested in a document in 1345, was restored in the second half of the XVII century.
- the Chapel of San Lorenzo in the village of Brignola, is mentioned in a document of the XVII century.
- the ruins of the Castle dating to the XI century.
- the Museum of Old Mill.