On the origins of the town's name there are different opinions: for some it derives from "Rubilans" (red soil of the nearby hills), for others from "Ribolendus" (gurgling stream for its location near to the river Cialancie) and finally from the Latin "robur" (oak or force).
A municipality in the province of Cuneo, in the center of Val Vermenagna, it borders with Roccavione, Roaschia, Vernante with which, in the past, disputes on the borders were frequent. The territory of Robilante is rich of chestnut and oak woods.
The town was already documented in a deed of 1041, in which it became a belonging of the Bishop of Asti. It already had its own council board in 1571, but records are traceable only since 1599. Subject to the domain of the Abbey of Borgo San Dalmazzo, after its direct involvement in the struggles of Monferrato and being subjected briefly to the Marquis of Saluzzo, during the Angevin domination and was included in the district of Cuneo to pass in the XIV century to the Marquis of Ceva, who proclaimed oath of allegiance to Count Amadeus of Savoy. In the early XVIII century it was granted in fief to Massimo Carostia. Later, the Savoy divided the district, and after a period under the French rule, the municipality returned to the province of Cuneo with the Prince Albert's reform of 1859.
Not to miss:
- the Parish Church of San Donato, patron Saint of the town, built in the XVIII century. It features a valuable façade with several frescoed ceilings, recently renovated, and it houses a wooden crucifix dating from the XIV century. The church is flanked by the Bell tower, which stands on the ruins of an existing Roman structure. Before the XVII century it appeared in the Romanesque style, tall and thin, embellished with fine mullioned windows, then to allow the addition of new bells and dials the hour, the entire structure was covered with a layer of stones that has greatly burdened everything. Not far from the church it is possible to admire a XV century fresco depicting the Madonna and Child.
- the Chapel of St. Anne, a single nave building, situated in a dominant position in the town, from where it is possible to enjoy a magnificent view. Until the first half of the XVIII century it was dedicated to St. Bernard, of which many are frescoes depicting scenes from the life of the saint.
- the Chapels in the nearby rural areas.