Questo sito o gli strumenti terzi da questo utilizzati si avvalgono di cookie necessari al funzionamento ed utili alle finalità illustrate nella cookie policy. Se vuoi saperne di più o negare il consenso a tutti o ad alcuni cookie, consulta la cookie policy. Chiudendo questo banner, scorrendo questa pagina, cliccando su un link o proseguendo la navigazione in altra maniera, acconsenti all'uso dei cookie.




you are here: Home Sardinia Sardinian West Coast Fluminimaggiore


Visit a locality browsing the menu on the left. In each Italy area you can then choose the best touristical structures we are proposing.

Print this page Send to a friend by e-mail




The town's name derives from the name of the river Flumini Mannu, that runs through the area. Municipality in the province of Carbonia-Iglesias, Fluminimaggiore is particularly rich in archaeological sites that attest the presence, over the centuries, of various civilizations, with its Nuraghi, its Punic exhibits and traces of the Roman Ages. The municipality, located on the outskirts of Iglesias, extends from Monte Linas to the sea and includes areas rich in hills, woods, creeks, beaches of exceptional beauty and the plain of Portixeddu, as well as caves, underground rivers and several fossils. Particularly fascinating are the cliffs of St. Nicholas and the those of Capo Pecora and Portixeddu.
The area was already inhabited since the Bronze Age with traces that date back to 1500 B.C. Several are the traces of the Nuragic period and those left by Phoenicians and Romans. The first document that attests the existence of the town dates back to the XIII century, while the first settlement, which was at the mouth of the river, in 1650 was destroyed by the Barbarians. A few years later it was rebuilt inland, in a more easily defensible area. In 1860 Fluminimaggiore experienced a great development thanks to the mining industry and the local quarries from which onyx and limestone was extracted.
- the church of St. Anthony of Padua, built in 1750, which was subject to important change in two different periods. The façade is divided into two orders and features three portals and a rose window with decorations depicting the life of the Saint. The Bell Tower stands to the right side of the church and features a square base plan and a series of two light arched windows. Within the main church is divided in three naves and features a Cross plan. The sacristy houses an XVIII century wooden statue depicting St. Anthony and two important sculptures: a XVII century statue, depicting the Virgin del Carmelo, and one depicting St. Isidore, dating from the late XVIII century;
- the seaside village of Portixeddu;
- the Temple of Antas;
- the caves of Su Mannau;
- the Roman quarries. The area is particularly rich in minerals;
- the Tombs of the Giants of the Perdas Al Bas;
- the Nuraghe of Su Barbaraxinu, S'Oreri, Narucci, Capo Pecora, Conca Muscioni;
- the water springs of Su Delegau and Pubusinu;
- the Cliffs of St. Nicholas.


This town web page has been visited 29,214 times.

Choose language