The local historians attest that the town's name derive from the Latin word "bifurca" (bifurcation - crossroads).
Municipality in the province of Belluno, located on the slopes of Mount Antelao and surrounded by mountains, famous for a rock with pink colored reflexes, not far from the Austrian border, Borca di Cadore is a popular resort for both Summer and Winter Seasons. Here, in fact, it is possible to engage in various activities, from healthy walks in the woods, perhaps looking for mushrooms, fishing and cross-country skiing in the district of Villanova. This is an excellent starting point to reach San Vito di Cadore and Cortina d'Ampezzo.
It is widely believed that the area of Cadore was inhabited by Celts, by the Euganei, by the Gauls and subsequently it was certainly colonized by the Romans. After the Fall of the Empire, the lands were at the mercy of several invaders, including: Heruli, Ostrogoths, Lombards and Byzantines. In the VI century A. D. the region was included into the Duchy of Friuli, then it submitted the domain of the Carolingians and the Dukes of Carinthia, until it was finally granted in fief, by the Patriarchs of Aquileia, to the Da Camino. In the XI century it became part of the Community Cadorina. The first documents that report of the existence of the town date back to 1331. In the XV century, absorbed by the Serenissima Republic of Venice, Borca shared the same fate and historical events of the other localities in the province of Belluno, including the invasion by French troops led by Napoleon. The French Emperor ordered the dissolution of the Community of Cadore and had new municipalities create. Borca in 1822 was divided from the municipality of San Vito and became administratively autonomous.
- the Parish Church of Saints Simon and Thaddeus, cited already in the XIV century, was partially destroyed by a landslide in the first half of the XVIII century. The façade presents a very simple gable roof. It is flanked by a Bell Tower with a square base, which has a belfry with arched openings, surmounted by a tympanum topped by a onion shaped terminal. The structure is interrupted by a series of mullioned windows and features a clock. Inside are preserved several important paintings and a precious XVIII century organ;.
- the Church of San Rocco in Cancia, which is flanked by a tower with a square base interrupted by beautiful mullioned windows and topped by an onion-terminal;
- the Church of Our Lady of Cadore, in the village of Eni, was designed by the architect Gellner in the mid-XX century;
- the Natural History Museum entitled to Olimpia Perini.