Also known by its nickname "Pearl of the Ionian Sea, Soverato is a beautiful seaside resort in the province of Catanzaro, situated in the southern part of the Gulf of Squillace, with sandy beaches, deep sea beds and crystal color waters, which offer the ideal habitat for seahorses, increasingly rare in the Mediterranean.
Thanks to its mild climate and fertile lands, the area was inhabited since ancient times by the Italic populations and subsequently by Greek and Romans, evidenced by the numerous discoveries brought to light here, such as Greek and Roman coins, tombs, the remains of a Greek house and part of the ancient port facilities). The old village with its medieval features develops towards the hinterland and survived the devastating earthquake of 1783.
Sites of Interest:
- the ruins of Old Soverato, with the traces of its fortifed walls and the churches of Santa Caterina and la Matrice;
- the Cathedral of Our Lady in Sorrow, renovated after the earthquake of 1783. The interior is decorated with stucco decorations and with a fine coffered ceiling. Among the several artistic masterpieces preserved here, stands out the precious Pietà of the artist Antonello Gagini (1521), a splendid sculpture of the Renaissance, commissioned to the Sicilian artist by the Head of the Council of the Kingdom of Naples, Giovanni Martino d'Aquino;
- the Gothic style Church of St. Anthony, located in the district of Marina;
- the neo-Gothic Church of Our Lady of the Rosary;
- the Church of Our Lady of Porto Salvo in the district of Marina, also known as the Fishermen's Chapel;
- Palazzo Gregoraci, with its finely decorated facade;
- the Palazzo Romiti , in Art Nouveau style;
- Palazzo Marincola, that features a XIX century plan in Art Nouveau style;
- the fortified watchtowers, built to protect the local populations from the continuous Saracen raids;
- the Botanical Gardens, which spreads over an area of 56.590mq;
- the Bay of Soverato, also known as the "Bay of Wonders" and recently declared one of Italian Marine Parks.