Questo sito o gli strumenti terzi da questo utilizzati si avvalgono di cookie necessari al funzionamento ed utili alle finalità illustrate nella cookie policy. Se vuoi saperne di più o negare il consenso a tutti o ad alcuni cookie, consulta la cookie policy. Chiudendo questo banner, scorrendo questa pagina, cliccando su un link o proseguendo la navigazione in altra maniera, acconsenti all'uso dei cookie.

Accetta

 

english

  • Dalisa Holiday Farm

    Dalisa Holiday Farm

    Holiday Famhouse Rooms Bed and Breakfast Apartments Accommodation Neapolitan Riviera Tramonti Amalficoast Salerno Campania Italy

  • Ristorante Pascalò

    Ristorante Pascalò

    Italian Gastronomy Quality Restaurant Sea Cuisine Vietri sul Mare Amalficoast Neapolitan Riviera Salerno Campania Italy

  • Liparlati Bed and Breakfast Positano

    Liparlati Bed and Breakfast Positano

    Quality Accommodation B&B Bed and Breakfast Holiday Guest House Positano Neapolitan Riviera Amalfic Coast Salerno Campania Italy

  • Amalfi Port Dock - Marina - Coppola

    Amalfi Port Dock - Marina - Coppola

    Harbour mooring Yacht Amalficoast Neapolitan Riviera Sorrento Salerno Campania Italy

  • Borgo San Michele Amalfi Coast

    Borgo San Michele Amalfi Coast

    Quality Exclusive Villa Accommodation Amalfi Neapolitan Riviera Amalficoast Salerno Campania Italy

you are here: Home Calabria Catanzaro and Vibo Valentia Cropani

Stay

Visit a locality browsing the menu on the left. In each Italy area you can then choose the best touristical structures we are proposing.

Print this page Send to a friend by e-mail

Share:
fb-like
g-plus

Cropani

Description

It is a town in the province of Catanzaro, whose name derives from the Greek word "kropos" (fertile land). It certainly existed before the year 1000 and was part of the County of Belcastro, of which the D'Aquino Family were the first accounts until 1375. The local traditions tell, that in 831, the inhabitants of Cropani gave shelter to some Venetian sailors, that returning from Alexandria with the relics of St. Mark the Evangelist; grateful for the help, left a fragment of the relic to the city, that was also awarded the citizenship of the Serenissima Republic of Venice.
Sites of Interest:
- the Cathedral entitled to the Assunta, which dominates the higher part of the town and faces the Town Hall. Its origins belong to the Renaissance, due to the presence of a large arched portal. The building submitted important refurbishments between the XVI and XVIII centuries. Inside it features a single nave plan and several side chapels and preserves a wooden coffered ceiling painted by Cristoforo Santanna (1759) with the image of the Assumption. Of the same artist is also the masterpiece on the interior face of the façade, "the expulsion of merchants from the Temple."
- the Church of Saint Lucia, the oldest of the city of the XV century, characterized by artistic mullioned windows on the façade, which also features two coats of arms of the XVII century, the largest of which is of the Papal State, indicating the former affiliation of the building to the Lateran Basilica;
- the Church of St. Catherine, located in the lower part of the town, whose congregation already was established in 1527. The simple façade of the building features a portal flanked by a classic XVII century Bell tower;
- the Church of St. John the Baptist with its XVI century façade and inside it houses a painting by Andrea Vaccaro, "The Baptism of Christ";
- the numerous archaeological exhibits brought to light in recent excavations, at present on display in the municipal Antiquarium.

Map

This town web page has been visited 18,466 times.

Choose language

italiano

english