Questo sito o gli strumenti terzi da questo utilizzati si avvalgono di cookie necessari al funzionamento ed utili alle finalità illustrate nella cookie policy. Se vuoi saperne di più o negare il consenso a tutti o ad alcuni cookie, consulta la cookie policy. Chiudendo questo banner, scorrendo questa pagina, cliccando su un link o proseguendo la navigazione in altra maniera, acconsenti all'uso dei cookie.

Accetta

 

english

you are here: Home Valle d'Aosta The Door of the Vallée Pont-Saint-Martin

Stay

Visit a locality browsing the menu on the left. In each Italy area you can then choose the best touristical structures we are proposing.

Print this page Send to a friend by e-mail

Share:
fb-like
g-plus

Pont-Saint-Martin

Description

The town's name derives for the first part, from the presence of a Roman bridge that dates back to the I century B.C., which has become a symbol of the whole area, whilst the second part, honors St. Martin. The town is one of the most populous of the Val d'Aosta, situated on the border with Piedmont, near the ancient Roman road for the Gallia, at the base of the Valle del Lys, the largest valley of the region with its 40 kilometers of extension. On the left bank of the river, modern equipped sports facilities are located in the green public gardens. The countryside offers the opportunity to spend pleasant hours in contact with nature between Bousc Daré and the river Lys. Departure point for great excursions towards Suzey, where it is possible to visit the ruins of an ancient castle and the nature reserve of the Pond of Oley and Monte Parassone, at almost 1800 meters, from which one can admire a magnificent panorama. The village is famous for the historic Carnival, founded in 1902 and during which, it features a famous chariot race and a parade with historical figures of the country, dressed in the costumes of the time, that travel on horseback through the streets of the center . The carnival ends with the burning of the devil under the Roman bridge. In this way the locals revive the legend of St. Martin, who is said to have tricked the devil.
The first inhabitants of the Valle del Lys were Salassi, expert hunters and proud warriors. They diligently defended their freedom for many years but eventually succumbed to the Romans, eager to extend their dominion over a region of vital importance. After the Romans, Pont Saint Martin was subjected to the dominion of the lords of Saint Martin and belonged to the dynasty of the Bard, then it passed to the Savoy.

Not to miss:

The Roman bridge built in stone on the river Lys, which is a rare example of single-span bridge, whose ends are anchored to stone bases. It is an extraordinary large construction with its 23 meters of height and its 5 meters of width and an arch 35 meters long. The date of construction is uncertain, someone claims it was built in 120 B.C., others in 25 B.C. Until 1831 it was the only existing access road to the town.
The feudal castle, dating from the XI century, was commissioned by the Lords of Bard. It is located on a hill next to the Valle di Gressoney and still visible today are the hexagonal central tower and some outbuildings dating from the XIII century.
The neo-Gothic castle of Baraing built in 1894, from where it is possible to enjoy a beautiful view. Today it is the headquarters of the Seventh Mountain Community of "Mont Rose".
The Villa Michetti seat of the Municipal Library.
The Castagna palace which now houses the Town Hall.
The Parish Church of San Lorenzo.
The Church of Fontaney.

Map

This town web page has been visited 16,212 times.

Choose language

italiano

english