The name derives from the Latin word "pirulus", a diminutive for "Pirus" (pear). A small town in the lower valley of Gressoney, on the border with Piedmont, which is characterized by a mild climate, Perloz is only partially touched by mass tourism and for this reason it is a place where peace reigns supreme. A rural village situated about 600 meters above sea level, at the mouth of the valley of Gressoney, in panoramic position, between terraces supported by dry stone walls and surrounded by woods and chestnut trees, has preserved intact the territory and the surrounding landscape. Greta departure point for interesting excursions and walks between the surrounding districts, between woods with ancient trees, or from Col Fenetre to Mount Crabun and to Croix Corma at over 1900 meters. Its history is similar to other realities of the Valley of Gressoney and in medieval times, Perloz was under the dominion of the Lords of Vallaise. The district of Tour d'Hereraz was ruled the noble family of the same name, a smaller branch of the family Vallaise, with whom the other branches of the Family were at odds, because of ownership. Only after several years, the Count of Savoy ceded to the Vallaise the rule over this district. During the Second World War a group of partisans of Perloz gave an important tribute to the first acts of resistance in the area.
Not to miss:
The Notre Dame de la Garde, erected on an earlier construction in the XVII century and restored in the XVIII century, is situated in panoramic position.
The Church of Tour d'Hereraz, consecrated in 1878, but built in 1299, it is dedicated to St. Joseph. It features a bell tower that until the second half of the XIX century belonged to the Vallaise family, and was a stronghold of Roman origin situated in a strategic location for the control of the territory.
The Parish church of San Salvatore, on which the date of construction is uncertain, some historians date the building back to 772, for others to year 1000, it was restored in the XIV century and rebuilt in the XVII century. It features a rectangular plan with a single nave and the main façade exhibits a fresco painting of the Last Judgment of 1676. Inside it preserves an altar in black marble of 1786, a balustrade and a walnut wood carved pulpit.
The Castle of Charles, built in 1300.
The Mills in Glacières, owned by the lords of Vallaise, were purchased in the mid XVI century by the Community of Marine. Restored in 2000, the mills can be visited but are not in function.
The Museum of the Resistance, open to the public in 2001, is dedicated to the Third Brigade of Lys. It preserves relics and documents of the Partisan Brigade.
The European Ash tree of Pessè, about 15 meters high, more than 200 years old.
The Chestnut tree of the Church in the district Tour d'Hereraz, about 19 meters high and 85 years of age.
The Elm tree of Pra, more than 16 meters high and more than 200 years of age.