City of Trustees of the province of Rome, located south of the capital, in the Agro Romano, it was built during the Fascist period, after the reclamation of the territories from the unhealthy marshlands. The first stone was laid by Mussolini on April 25th , 1937 and the city was officially inaugurated on October 29th , 1939. The work was entrusted to a team of architects, such as: Petrucci, Tufaroli, Paolini and Silenzi. Founded as a village populated mainly by families of agricultural traditions from the regions of Veneto, Emilia Romagna and Friuli, where the ONC (National Fighter Foundation) honored their soldiers, in the immediate postwar period, assigning to the families a small farm consisting of a cottage and a plot of land, that thanks to its proximity to Rome, later grew as an industrial center. In the 80s of the XX century, industrialization suffered a setback and the local economy soon switched to the tertiary sector.
Sites of Interest:
- the rationalist style buildings, built during the Fascist period, like the Civic Tower (rebuilt after the bombings of World War II), the former home of the Fascism and the Mother Church;
- the remains of an ancient Roman villa in Torvaianica;
- the remains of the legendary city of Lavinium, according to legends founded by the Trojan hero Aeneas, whose acropolis stood where currently stands the village of Pratica di Mare;
- the Cave of the Faun, in the district of Solforate;
- Santa Maria delle Vigne, also known as the Madonnella, owned by the Borghese family, named so since the V century A.D.;
- the beach and the surrounding sea of Torvaianica.