Small town in the province of Rome, situated on the slopes of the Monti Lucretili in the Sabina area, Nerola is located where, in pre-Roman times, was situated the ancient Regillo, an important military city for its strategic position along the Via Salaria. Born in Regillo was Claus Atta, the founder of the Claudia family, from which descended the Emperor Nerone. The town's name derives from the Sabine dialect "ner" (strong, vigorous).
In the second half of the X century, the rector of Sabina, Benedetto Crescenzi, had Castrum Nerulae built, which belonged to his family until 1235, when it passed to the papacy. The town was granted in fief to the Orsini, who built the current castle; in 1644 it was ceded to the Barberini, later to the Colonna of Scirra and finally, to the Lante della Rovere.
Sites of Interest:
- the Orsini Castle, built between the X and the XI century. When the fief was assigned to the Orsini, they had the castle strengthened, raising four quadrangular towers and surrounding the entire main centre with fortified walls;
- the former Roman Church of Sant'Antonio Abate, now owned by the Town Hall, it was the old Parish Church until 1482, with an adjoining graveyard;
- the Church of San Giorgio, partially rebuilt in 1924 on the ruins of the old one built by the Orsini and founded in 1482. It collapsed in the earthquake of 1915, but within still preserves two splendid white marble portals, embellished with the "rose", coats of arms of the Orsini in the XVI century;
- the fountain of Cese, already mentioned in the XI century;
- the public laundry;
- the Hospice of the Pilgrims (now the Hospital of St. Anthony);
- the old Pharmacy Palmucci, within which are still well preserved XIX century furnishings and tools.