Questo sito o gli strumenti terzi da questo utilizzati si avvalgono di cookie necessari al funzionamento ed utili alle finalità illustrate nella cookie policy. Se vuoi saperne di più o negare il consenso a tutti o ad alcuni cookie, consulta la cookie policy. Chiudendo questo banner, scorrendo questa pagina, cliccando su un link o proseguendo la navigazione in altra maniera, acconsenti all'uso dei cookie.

Accetta

 

english

you are here: Home Veneto Veneto's Riviera Jesolo

Stay

Visit a locality browsing the menu on the left. In each Italy area you can then choose the best touristical structures we are proposing.

Print this page Send to a friend by e-mail

Share:
fb-like
g-plus

Jesolo

Description

The town's name derives from the Latin word "equus" ("city of horses", because once the Paleoveneti, the first inhabitants of the area, were devoted to the breeding and rearing of these noble animals). Municipality in the province of Venice, located on the Adriatic coast, Jesolo opens on to a flat area washed by the rivers Piave and Sile. It is a popular seaside resort which attracts tourists, every year, thanks to a long sandy beach, about 15 km, and its modern facilities. The town consists of two distinct districts: the old town centre and the Lido of Jesolo, which extends along the coast.
The area on which Jesolo stands was originally the largest island situated in a lagoon, surrounded by other smaller islands, also inhabited by the Paleoveneti populations. These tribes, with the help of the Romans fought against the Gauls, and in exchange they allowed them to colonize the area. Under the influence of the Romans, the existing lands were divided into centurie and new ones were reclaimed from the marshlands. After the Fall of the Roman Empire, the plain was easy prey of the Barbarian invasions and the inhabitants took refuge on the smaller lagoon islands. In the Middle Ages, Jesolo had the opportunity to develop and expand thanks mainly to its favorable trading location. Proclaimed Bishopric, it subsequently submitted the invasion of the Franks and with other unfortunate events, this all contributed to the gradual decay of the city and a certain depopulation in the late XV century. Later a Venetian nobleman, had a church built here and around this a new village called Cavazuccherina developed, which became municipality in the XIX century. The later history remembers the domain of Austria and the fatal events related to the First World War. In 1930, the center resumed the ancient name of Jesolo.

Attractions:
- the Parish Church, built in 1925, a building inspired by a Romanesque style with evident Byzantine influences. The façade is divided into two levels, the lower one has a majestic portal evidenced by the detachment and a large colored bezel and is flanked by two pairs of blind arches. On the sides of the higher level, there are two lancet windows and a central rosette one. The building is flanked at the rear by a square based Bell Tower;
- the Laguna del Mort, a natural park, which was formed by the flooding of the Piave. The shallow waters are rich in fish and it is a resting place of several species of migrant birds and the natural habitat for various types of plants;
- the permanent archaeological exhibition on display at the Town Hall;
- the archaeological area "Antiche Mura" with the remains of the Church of San Mauro and the Cathedral of Santa Maria. Of the latter, built on a former church dating from the VI century, are still visible the base of the bell tower, the floor and parts of a wall;
- the Museum of Natural History;
- Torre Caligo

Map

This town web page has been visited 28,568 times.

Choose language

italiano

english