Ispica, set on the Calandra hill, has very ancient origins, as many prehistoric remains found in the Cava Ispica (Cave of Ispica) document.
The original name of Ispica was Ispra, changed in Roman age in Ispicae Fundus. In medieval age it was changed in Spaccaforno, and took the current name just after 1935. Greeks, Romans, Byzantines, Arabians and Normans successively settled in the area, each leaving their own indelible signs.
The village belonged to many lords: the Chiaramontes, the Cabreras, the Carusos and finally, the Statellas, who governed it up to 1812. The town, destroyed by the earthquake in 1693, was rebuilt in higher location.
In addition to the Cave of Ispica, the XVIII century Basilica di Santa Maria Maggiore, the Church of Santissima Annunziata, the Mother Church dedicated to San Bartolomeo and the Bruno Belmonte Palace, in liberty style designed by Ernesto Basile, worh a visit.