Gorgoglione is a town in the province of Matera, whose origins date back to the IV century B.C., as witnessed by the discovery of Apulian red-figure pottery, now housed at the National Museum of Matera. Mentioned in a papal bulletin of 1060 between the parishes belonging to the Diocese of Tricarico, the town belonged to the Della Marra Family, who in 1070 built here their castle, of which today, remain only ruins. It later was ceded to the Carafa and the Spinelli.
Not to miss:
- the Church of Santa Maria Assunta, originally built in Romanesque style and later remodeled in Baroque style, preserves inside an antique baptismal font and a XV century statue of San Rocco;
- the Sanctuary of the Madonna of Pergamo, a rural church, whose existence is attested since 1131;
- the cave of the bandits, located just outside the village at an altitude of 760 meters above sea level on the left of a tributary of the torrent of Gorgoglione. The name derives from the fact that during the period of brigantaggio, it was the shelter of several local bands of bandits