The Diocesan Museum is housed in the firts floor of the Episcopal Seminay and its exhibit is articulated in five sections. One features history and archaeology, with a collection of minerals, fossils and archaeological finds dating from the nuraghic, Punic and Roman periods. The second section deals with the history of the diocese beginning with principalities period, around the year 1000, when it was founded in the town of Suelli, in Trexenta, by bishop St. George. The third, given over to sacred art, comprises liturgical objects from the entire medals and rosaries, and lastly, old parish registers and rare books. The museum itinerary continues with a visit to the historical documents section, with official papers regarding the arrival of the Salesians in Lanusei, a collection of photographs, copies of very old newspapers printed in Ogliastra, ancient parchments jewels, and documents signed by king Carlo Alberto, king Carlo Felice and Queen Maria Teresa, as well as by all twentieth-century popes. The visit ends with a section featuring an exhibition of various objects dating to the Fascist period and World War Two, as well as African artworks and Chinese porcelain.
Diocesi di Lanusei
Via Roma 106 - 08045 Lanusei
(source: Guida ai Beni Culturali della provincia dell'Ogliastra)