The Neapolitan Charterhouse, dedicated to St. Martin bishop of Tours, was founded in 1325 for King Charles' will, the Angevin Robert 's son. The huge structure is a work by Tino, the son of the sculptor Camaino and by Attanasio Primario.
Between the end of the 16th century and the 18th century the whole monastery was completely transformed by means of many artists. The old kitchens house the section of the Nativity Scenes, whose starting unit, composed of the important collection by Cuciniello, has been enriching over the years with donations to become nowadays the most complete and important among the public and private Italian collections. The Museum houses also the Prior's Quarter, where la Vergine con Bambino e san Giovannino by Pietro Bernini is on display.
San Martino Charterhouse and Museum
Piazzale San Martino, 5
Tel. 081.5586408; 848.800288; 081.2294502
Open: Thu - Tue 8.30 a.m. - 7.30 p.m. (the ticket office closes at 6.30 p.m.)
Tickets: Adults € 6,00; reduced (18 - 25) € 3,00 - under 18 - over 65 and students of humanistic faculties free admission; and Artecard holders 50% off