Questo sito o gli strumenti terzi da questo utilizzati si avvalgono di cookie necessari al funzionamento ed utili alle finalità illustrate nella cookie policy. Se vuoi saperne di più o negare il consenso a tutti o ad alcuni cookie, consulta la cookie policy. Chiudendo questo banner, scorrendo questa pagina, cliccando su un link o proseguendo la navigazione in altra maniera, acconsenti all'uso dei cookie.

Accetta

 

english

you are here: Home Sardinia the Sardinian Hinterland Villanovaforru

Stay

Visit a locality browsing the menu on the left. In each Italy area you can then choose the best touristical structures we are proposing.

Print this page Send to a friend by e-mail

Share:
fb-like
g-plus

Villanovaforru

Description

Municipality in the province of the Medio Campidano area, located inland Sardinia, whose territory borders with those of Sanluri, the small town center of Villanovaforru preserves the original medieval structure and habitat of the XVII century and is surrounded by hills covered with vineyards, olive groves and green pastures. The local economy is devoted to traditional craftsmanship with the production of ceramics, gold filigree, knives, wool fabrics and embroidery and offers excellent gourmet products and wines.
The earliest traces of a settlement in the Villanovaforru area date back to 1350 B.C. In the area of Genna Marina, on top of a hill, there is a Nuraghe recently discovered in 1977. The structure is characterized by the presence of a central tower and of three smaller ones, joined together by fortified walls and a central courtyard with a well. Around the nuraghe, the local inhabitants had built a village surrounded by another circle of walls and six smaller watchtowers. In late 800 B.C., the territories were abandoned due to a fire, but were used for ritual purposes in later eras. In the same area several traces of the Punic and Roman colonization have been brought to the light. The main urban centre of Villanovaforru was founded during the Spanish rule.

Attractions:
- the Parish Church of San Francesco di Assisi in which is preserved, in addition to eleven tombs, a polychrome marble altar of the second half of the XVIII century;
- the rural Church of Santa Marina;
- the Archaeological Park on the hill of Genna Maria, at about 400 meters above sea level, from where it is possible to admire a broad view over the surrounding areas. The area features various remains including a series of huts and a watchtower dating from 1350 B.C. In the houses, hastily abandoned because of a disastrous fire, ornaments and weapons have been found;
- the Archaeological Museum located in a historic building on Mount Granat, built back in 1892. Inside, it preserves exhibits of the Nuragic era, finds only from the site of Genna Maria, but also from other areas in Sardinia.

Map

This town web page has been visited 26,245 times.

Choose language

italiano

english