Ulassai is a picturesque town in the central-eastern Sardinia, in the heart of the Ogliastra area (about 700 meters a.s.l.), surrounded by the impressive and monumental "tacchi" (heels), whose limestone walls (some almost 100 meters high) are really appreciated by free-climbing lovers. From the urban point of view, Ulassai is a typical mountain town, with norrow alleys overlooked by traditional houses; this area is rich in natural springs and water falls, as well as beautiful oak woods and scented Mediterranean vegetation. Maria Lai's works (a famous artist born in Ulassai) are still visible in the town.
The area was inhabited since the pre-nuraghic period (III millennium BC), as the remains of the megalithic village in Seddorrulu reveal. There are also numerous nuraghi, some of which perfectly preserved, and giants' graves. Ulassai was mentioned for the first time in a document of 1217; during the Middle Ages it belonged first to the Judicature of Calaris and then to the Republic of Pisa. In 1324 it was part of the Catalan-Aragonese system and granted in fief to the counts of Quirra.
-the remains of giants' graves, domus de janas and nuraghi (Sanu, S'Ulimu, Cea Arci, Seroni);
- Is Lianas and Su Marmuri grottoes, among the largest in Europe, rich in stalactites and stalagmites;
- Tisiddu "tacco" (heel), overlooking the town of Ulassai;
- the Barigau stone Arch, set in the upper part of Ulassai, once part of a no longer exhisting town wall;
- the XVIII century Church of San Sebastiano, in the very heart of the town, in simple shapes, with a single nave covered by barrel vault;
- the Church of Sant'Antioco, dating back to the XVI century and rebuilt after the bombing of 1943 in neo-Romanesque style. Inside it is possible to admire the beautiful Via Crucis by Maria Lai.
- the Church of Santa Barbara, old stone building in late-Romanesque style, preserving a beautiful statue of the Saint. Not too far there is a valuable Bizantine style porch;
- Lequarci waterfall, that can be seen during the rainy season, in Santa Barbara district;
- Lecorci waterfall, that can be seen during the rainy season;
- the old wash-house , set in the upper part of the town, short distance from the parish church. It represents Costantino Nivola's last work and, together with Maria Lai, Luigi Veronesi and Guido Strazza, reinterpreted this place in a moder key;
- the Stazione dell'Arte, a museum set in the old railway station of the town where numerous Maria Lai's works of art are on display.