Located In a special position, close to where the Ligurian Sea meets the Gulf of La Spezia, opposite the island of Palmaria. The sea front of Portovenere, embraces a town, formed by two rows of houses along a single street without interruption by cross-streets, that form a colored curtain that in the past had an effective defensive means. Only the columned archways interrupt the continuity of the houses. The countryside offers an exciting landscape from the sea and from St. Peter's Church it is possible to admire an superb overlook over the first stretch of coast to the Cinque Terre.
Portovenere, like many other towns in Liguria, was known by the Romans and in medieval times was under the control of the Lords of Vezzano at first, and Genoa, then. During this domination a castle was built surrounded by fortified walls. In 1494 during the attack by soldiers of Alfonso of Aragon the city was seriously damaged.
The ruins of the old stone Castle.
The Church of St. Peter, a Romanesque-Gothic church, built in the V century on the ruins of an ancient Roman temple dedicated to Venus.
The Church of San Lorenzo, dating back to 1116, in Romanesque style.
Fort Muzzerone, with part of the fortifications, entirely in stone.