The name probably derives from the Latin Manium Arula (small temple dedicated to the Mani), or perhaps magna rota (big wheel mill), a reference to the ancient agricultural vocation of the town. A series of tall, narrow houses painted in bright colors that dominate over a small port. Manarola is a district of the town of Riomaggiore, in the province of La Spezia. The typical tower houses face onto the main street, which was built were once a watercourse passed through the town. The county continues climbing up the hill, a web of narrow streets, entering into one of the most wild natural landscape areas of Liguria. The Ligurian town is an example of how man's stubbornness prevailed on the building difficulties of the territory. During the visit of Manarola it is impossible to get bored, every corner hides an incredible surprise, so do not hurry and look around curiously.
It was created by the populations from the Val di Vara and Volastra, settlements of Roman origin, enlarged towards the sea in search of a privileged access for trade and new opportunities and resources. In the second half of the XIII century the county submitted the dominion of the Fieschi di Lavagna, after a long war with the Republic of Genoa after the defeat by a fleet of 14 galleys in 1273. Under the supervision of Genoa, the town experienced a remarkable development, becoming one of the largest producers of wine and oil in the area.
The Parish Church of San Lorenzo, in the Gothic style, dating back to 1338, which preserves a crucifix from the XV century and an altarpiece of the same period and a triptych dating from the XV century depicting St. Lawrence and Ss Anthony Abbot and Bernardino .
The square shaped white Bell Tower erected in the XIV century, that had defense and sighting uses.
The Oratory dei Disciplinati della Santissima Annunziata ('500) and the ancient hospital of San Rocco.
Punta Bonfiglio that with a trail connects the beach to the port of Palaedo.
The "Via dell'Amore" (the romantic lane), which connects Manarola to Riomaggiore, a path with sidewalks, suspended on the sea, a small part of a larger itinerary along the Ligurian coastline, from Monterosso to Riomaggiore, known as the famous Blue Trail.