The name derives from the Latin name of person: Mauricus. Located South at the foot of Mount Cormet, Morgex, is in the heart of Valdigne and since ancient times, thanks to the special geographical position, it was the vital center of the administrative life of the whole Valley of the Monte Bianco. Situated in a beautiful plain surrounded by mountains, including Mount Crammont and the Grivola, the area features a variety of: trees, mostly spruce, pine and larch forests and vineyards, from which an excellent Blanc de Morgex et de La Salle is obtained. Numerous villages are part of the township, some scattered in the valley, whilst others are nestled in the mountains. From Morgex it is possible to reach the alpine lakes of Arpy, Licony and Pietra Rossa, as well as the villages of Courmayeur and La Thuile for skiing. The town is rich in history with its medieval buildings and stately mansions.
The first inhabitants of the Valdigne were the Salassi, expert hunters and warriors, fierce defenders of their liberty, that after many years of resistance, had to surrender and succumb to the Romans, eager to extend their rule over a region of vital importance for commerce. After the Romans, the town subdued numerous violent barbarian invasions for its particular location. Under the rule of the Counts of Savoy, Morgex prospered thanks to the stability guaranteed as this Family that were able to avoid the hostilities of the continual wars that characterize the history of that period. It was the seat of the fief of Valdigne, which included Courmayeur, Morgex, Pre-Saint-Didier, La Thuile, La Salle to the Col du Petit Saint Bernard. In October 1318 the Duke Amedeo V granted independence to the municipality, declaring it Ville Libre. During the Second World War the town was one of the most important partisan bases.
Not to miss:
The Parish Church of Santa Maria Assunta. Some foundations and the tower show that the building dates from the XII century. it features a cusp-covered with copper and surmounted by a cross. In the XV century, both the Church and the bell tower, were the subject of restoration. Among the original elements remain only an arched window and the entrance portal.
The Chapel in Dailley, entitled to Santa Margherita, already documented in 1640, the building was restored in 1834.
The Chapel in Lavancher, entitled to St. Anne, was built in the second half of the XVII century and rebuilt in 1820.
The Chapel in Villar, entitled to San Rocco. Originally there were two chapels, which became one after the refurbishments of 1759.
The Chapel in La Ruine, entitled to Maria Regina of Val d'Aosta.
The Chapel in Liarey, entitled to St. Peter and Our Lady of Mercy. It was built in the second half of the XVII century.
The Chapel of Licony, entirely built into the rock.
The Chapel of Arpy, entitled to Our Lady of the Snows. It was originally built on the ruins of a chapel with a statue of the Virgin, which was replaced and enlarged in 1733. On August 05th, in honour of the feast of the patron saint, there is a famous religious procession between Morgex and Arpy.
The Tour de l'Archet. Originally built in 998, the first structure was enlarged a few decades later and surrounded by fortified walls which enclosed a beautiful courtyard. Once the outside walls were strengthened, it became the regular residence of the Count of Savoy.
The Castle Pascal in La Ruine.
The fortified house of the Bozel in Villar.