The name derives from the Lombard term "sala", which means court or barn. La Salle dominates the valley of the Valdigne or Vallis digna, as the Romans had called it, for the special beauty, rich of vegetation and vines that climb up to over a thousand meters above sea level and from which the locals produce an excellent Blanc de Morgex et de La Salle, obtained with a local grape variety, the PRIE blanc. The village, almost completely restored, is located on a slope, happily exposed to the sun, and offers a spectacular view of Mont Blanc.
Besides the typical winter sports, such as climbing and excursions on the trails, it is also offers the possibility to go horseback riding, rafting, tennis and mountain biking. The resort combines nature, sports, historical relics and gastronomy.
The Valdigne before the first Roman occupation was certainly inhabited by the Celts and the Salassi. The tradition reports that the path that connects Vedun to the villages of Villaret and Echarlod La Salle was traced by the Salassi, proud warriors and hunters, who created many problems to the Romans. In the later ages the territories of Valle d'Aosta were invaded by the Burgundians (who seems to have introduced the cultivation of vines in the region), then by the Franks and, finally, by the Lombards. Around 1030 the town was ceded to the Savoy, who, unlike what happened in other municipalities in the Valle d'Aosta, were the only feudal lords for Valdigne and, over the centuries XIII, XIV and XV, granted their subjects an opportunity to democratically elect their representatives.
Not to miss:
The Parish Church of San Cassiano, completely rebuilt at the end of the XIX century and features a bell tower with mullioned windows. The Museum of Sacred Art is inside the building.
The former nursing home, burnt down by the French in 1691 and rebuilt in the XIX century.
The Romanesque church of Sant 'Orso, that dates back to the X century in the village of Derby. It preserves two medieval icons and a crucifix of the XV century. Near the church there are three old mansions.
Maison Gerbollier, seat of the Town Hall and exhibitions hall of concerts and events in the Summer.
Chatelard Castle, dating from the XII century, that features a high cylindrical tower and three layers of walls. It is located not far from La Salle.
The Ethnographic Museum in Cheverel.