Birthplace of the Italian poet Dino Campana, Marradi is a small town in the province of Florence, surrounded by woods, century old chestnut trees, rivers and uncontaminated nature. It is set along the right bank of the Lamone river, in an area inhabited since the Etruscan period, then the Romans succeeded and founded a "castrum" (settlement) in order to control the territory that represented an important link between the cities of Faenza and Florence. In the Middle Ages Marradi belonged to the church of Faenza and so it was under the rule of Romagna and the Lords Guidi who kept their dominion constant up to the 14th century. From the 15th century Florence turned its attention on Marradi: the Lordship made an active centre of exchange out of the city and since 1447 an authorized weekly market.
Among the most important monumento of the town, we have to mention the Santa Reparata Abbey, belonged to the Benedictine monks and in 1090 passed under a Vallombrosian congregation until the XIX century, when it was suppressed, the Archpriestly Church of San Lorenzo, in neoclassic style on a preexhistent Romanesque style structure, the Gamogna Hermitage, the Castiglionchio Fortress (VI century), Palazzo Fabbroni, Palazzo Comunale and the Animosi Theater.