Questo sito o gli strumenti terzi da questo utilizzati si avvalgono di cookie necessari al funzionamento ed utili alle finalità illustrate nella cookie policy. Se vuoi saperne di più o negare il consenso a tutti o ad alcuni cookie, consulta la cookie policy. Chiudendo questo banner, scorrendo questa pagina, cliccando su un link o proseguendo la navigazione in altra maniera, acconsenti all'uso dei cookie.

Accetta

 

english

you are here: Home Tuscany Mugello Barberino di Mugello

Stay

Visit a locality browsing the menu on the left. In each Italy area you can then choose the best touristical structures we are proposing.

Print this page Send to a friend by e-mail

Share:
fb-like
g-plus

Barberino di Mugello

Description

Barberino di Mugello is a town in the province of Florence, in the valley of the Stura river. It was developed in the XI century at the foot of the hill on which the old castle of Cattani di Combiate rises. In 1315 it passed under the jurisdiction of Florence and in 1351 under the power of Giovanni Visconti, archbishop in Milan. It was afterwards ravaged more than once. The village then was reconstructed not much as a fortified village, but rather as a "market place", to become a centre of agricultural and exchange activities.
The Pieve church of San Silvestro, built in 1641, was increased in 1821. On the façade we can admire an arcade, supported by neo-classical columns. Inside, a beautiful Crucifixion and Saints, oil by Giovanni di Bartolomeo, pupil of Ghirlandaio, dated back XVI century.
On the right hand of the Parish there is the Oratorio della Compagnia: it holds an extensive nave in Gothic style, constituted by wood trusses and, all along the perimeter, it is decorated by a wooden chorus and valuable carved panels.
The Pieve church of San Gavino Adimari, built in 1037 by the Alberti counts, is interesting too.
We also suggest to visit the Cafaggiolo Medici villa, Villanova castle, built in neo-medieval style on the ruins of a preexhistent castle, and the Barberino castle, rebuilt in the XVIII century.

Map

This town web page has been visited 20,122 times.

Choose language

italiano

english