It is a town in the province of Rome, located on the southeastern shore of Lake Bracciano, whose name derives, according to the best hypothesis, from the presence in the area of a Roman villa, called "Angularia", as built where the lake formed an angle, "Sabazia" instead, refers to the god Dionysus (also called the Sabbath) or ancient lake Sabatinus.
The history of the center is closely related to the family of Anguillara, of which there are records documented since the XI century, and who maintained the rule of the fief until 1488, when the last descendant of this Family died. The area has been inhabited since the Neolithic period, attested by the finds excavated in the area of La Marmotta. After Anguillara, the fief was ceded to Gentil Virginio Orsini d'Aragona, former Lord of Bracciano, who, after a series clashes with Pope Alexander IV Borgia, was able to keep hold of the possession for several decades. Strangled by debts, the Orsini were forced to cede Anguillara to Francesco Grillo de 'Mari, Duke of Mondragone.
Sites of Interest:
- the Neolithic village in La Marmotta with its dwelling remains;
- the walls of St. Stephen, an architectural complex of the Roman period (II century A.D.) consists of a main building complex, a cistern and the remains of an apse of a medieval church, dedicated to the cult of Saint Stephen;
- Via Clodia, an ancient Roman road which connected Via Cassia to the Via Aurelia;
- Villa Claudia, built the late Republican era (I century B.C.), discovered in 1934 near the industrial plant of Acqua Claudia. It spread over three floors down a slope and features, among other things, a large water tank to feed the famous Fountains of the Nymphs;
- the Church of San Biagio (1756);
- the Church of San Francesco;
- the XVI century Church of Santa Maria Assunta, completely remodeled in the XVIII century;
- Palazzo Orsini, today seat of the Town Hall, located in a fortified complex, consisting of a circular tower, angular bastions connected by a wall and a circular bastion. Inside the Stanza della Loggia features a valuable cycle of frescoes attributed to the school of Raphael;
- the Source Claudia, the natural spring of a therapeutic sparkling water.