Situated in St. Francis of Assisi street, one of the most interesting and representative example of Neoclassical architecture in Sicily, the Old Market was built in the Benedictines' garden from 1892 to 1895. It was Salvatore Rizza, great architect of the town, who planned to built it. The elgant frontage lodge is marked by round arches and the town coat of arms, made by the sculptor Francesco Puzzo, dominates the frame, We also owe to him the twelve beautiful medallions representing the products being sold in the Market's workshops. In 1971 the building was closed and, after being restored between 2005 and 2008, now hosts the Town Library. In the former fish gallery, now reading room, there's the permanent exhibition of "the Market and its people", a pictures path aimed at recreating the atmosphere of people who lived and worked there.
(source: Avola, la città esagonale)