Situated in Theatre Square, the church with a nave and two aisles seems to have been originally built in 1713 and was fostered by Michelangelo Alessi. The dome, tumbled down because of the 1848 earthquake, was rebuilt in 1962 by the construction engineer Pietro Lojacono. The three ordered frontage shows at the core the effigy of Avola's patron saint. Inside, in the aspse, over the neoclassical high altar designed in 1840, there is the oval painting representing St. Venera's Sermon, held in a precious rocaille frame and attributed to Costantino Carasi, painter of Noto. In the chapel at the end of the right aisle, full of majolica of 1827, is guarding the Saint's simulacrum made by Raffaele Abbate of Naples and covered with silver embossed and chiselled thin sheets by Emanuele Puglisi Caudullo. The painting with St. Crispino and St. Crispiniano, cobblers protectors, and the one depicting St. Marta belong to the XVII century. The Holy Family, Jesus and Maria, and St. Vincenzo Ferreri belong to the XVIII century instead. The organ has been made by the Polizzi of Modica in 1901.
(source: Avola, la città esagonale)