According to legend, St. Francis of Assisi came to the coast of Agropoli in 1222. Marino da Firenze records that "he entrusted to the people of Principato Citra the task of building a convent in Agropoli, then, to the amazement of the onlookers, he stood on a high rock and preached to the fish which had gathered by the shore".
In 1230, the project was completed. records from 1583 confirm that the Rosary Chapel was there, with a community of friars under the chaplaincy of Marino di Lucolo. On 30 January 1808, the convent gave shelter to the friars from the suppressed convent of Teggiano, until it, too, was suppressed under the degree of 7 August 1809. The ornaments and vestments were handed over the Agropoli parish church, the precious items were depositated in the Corte Bank of Naples, the boos in Salerno and the manuscripts in the Naples library. The bells were melted for munitions. Being private property, the structure has been altered with time, but the cloister is still recognizable. recently, a small church, dedicated to St. Francis, was built beside it, on the site of the first Agropoli cemetery, which had been moved further up the hill, before being relocated near the Church of Our Lady of Grace.