A municipality in the province of Cuneo, located in the Tanaro Valley, bordering the Lower Langhe and Monferrato areas, the village of Govone is surrounded by vast expanses of vineyards and woods. The main centre is built around the parish church and castle, whose profiles stand out clearly in relation to the surrounding buildings. The particular composition of the soil favors the cultivation of vines that give fine wines, such as: Dolcetto, Nebbiolo and Barbera. The various trekking paths that trace the valleys and the hills and through vineyards and meadows, offer pleasant hiking possibilities in direct contact with the local environment.
The area, already inhabited at the times of the Romans, who drew important roads of communication, in the Middle Ages, Govone was submitted to the dominion of the Bishop of Asti. It became a fief entitled to the Solaro, a noble family of Asti linked to the Savoy, that ruled until 1792, when, after the death of the last heir, the domain of the village passed to the Savoy. Shortly after King Vittorio Amedeo III donated the estate to his sons Carlo Felice and Giuseppe Maria. Under the French rule, the castle was abandoned and looted, and only when the village was ceded to the Counts of San Martino, it was saved from ruin, and returned to Carlo Felice, who died without heirs and so the territory passed to the Duke of Genoa.
Not to miss:
- the Church of San Secondo, built in Gothic style, situated next to the castle, was mentioned for the first time in a document dated 1041. Rebuilt in the XIV century, it submitted several refurbishments in the later years and in 1742, the building was flanked by a new steeple. The building features three naves and two side chapels, a pentagonal shaped apse and a series of mullioned windows. Inside it preserves an organ of 1869;
- the XVI century Church of the Holy Spirit, once connected to the castle and rebuilt in Baroque style in the second half of the XVIII century;
- the Church of St. Peter, which was built in place of a smaller pre-existing building, demolished in the late XIX century and subsequently rebuilt;
- the XVII century Parish Church of S.S. Annunziata in Canove;
- the Church of San Defendente already recorded in official documents of the XVII century, rebuilt in XIX;
- the XI century Church of Our Lady del Carmine in Montaldo, which was rebuilt in the late XIX century;
- the XVII century Church of San Michele in Borghetto, which was rebuilt in the second half of the XIX;
- the Church of S.S. Trinity, already existing in the XVII century, it was rebuilt in the XX;
- the Church of Madonna delle Grazie and the adjacent XIX century Convent in Carviano;
- the Church of San Giovanni;
- the Church of San Rocco;
- the Church of Madonna delle Grazie in Martorano dating back to 1890;
- the Savoy Castle, rebuilt in the XVIII century on an old building of medieval origins, surrounded by a large park which hosts an Italian garden set up by King Carlo Felice and the Museum of the Old Rose. Inside it preserves valuable frescoes and from the square in front of the building it is possible to enjoy a spectacular view over the surrounding hills.