Cuneo, located on a plateau at the confluence of the rivers Stura and Gesso, was founded in 1198. It is a lively city offering a wealth of markets, arts and crafts and the oldest part of the city develops itself along the medieval Via Roma.
The Cathedral, dedicated to Santa Maria del Bosco (Saint Mary of the Woods) was built on the same spot where another religious building arose during the Middle Ages. Topped by a beautiful dome, it has an elegant façade with high Corinthian columns that support a large pediment. Inside, there are numerous 17th century paintings and a very beautiful pulpit from the same period.
Along the main route, Via Roma, is the church dedicated to the patron saint of Milano in memory of the help received by the citizens of Cuneo from the people of Milano during the war against the French. The origins of the church date back to 1231, but during the 18th century, it was completely rebuilt following the design of the architect Francesco Gallo.
In the heart of the city, built on the spot where, in ancient times, a Franciscan hermitage was located, the Santuario di Santa Maria degli Angeli (Sanctuary of Saint Mary of the Angels) rises up with its splendid and richly frescoed dome.
Palazzo Audifreddi, which is today the seat of the Biblioteca Civica (City Library), Villa Colombaro San Michele and Villa Tornatorte worth a visit.