Cutigliano is a wonderful town, surrounded by the forests of the Pistoia Appennines, whose name probably derives from Catilina, the Roman patrician opposed to Cicerone, died in this area. The village developed during the Early Middle Age, under the jurisdiction of Lizzano. At the end of the XIV century, after facing numerous attacks first by the commander Castruccio Castracani and by some rebels, the village passed to the jurisdiction of the city of Pistoia and became seat of the Captainship of the Mountain. In 1537 it passed under the control of Florence, which guaranteed a political stability to the village so to promote the economic increase.
The main square of the town is characterised by the Palace of the Captains of the Mountain, whose façade is covered with the coats-of-arms left by various captains who had succeeded here and who had built their residences in memory of their passage. In front of the Palace there is the beautiful XVI century fountain.
We also suggest to visit the Church of Madonna di Piazza, which holds glazed earthenware possibly made by Benedetto Buglioni, a pupil of Della Robbia, and the Church of San Bartolomeo, with its white marble holy water stoup, the gilted 1565 carved wooden altar, the 1620 sandstone pulpit and three sixteenth century paintings behind the high altar.