Cerignola is situated at an altitude of 120 metres above sea level, in the valley of Ofanto in the province of Foggia. It is a large town and one of the most populated centres of the South of Italy.
The territory of Cerignola is located on the border between the provinces of Foggia and Bari and its warm climate during the Summer period sometimes causes periods of dry season.
Since the Old Ages, the plain of Cerignola has always been based on agriculture. Wheat, olive oil and wines are the typical local products of this area. The olive oil has a certified origin "D.O.P."; it offers a light green aspect with bright yellow reflexes and a sour and spicy flavour.
The agriculture origins are witnessed by the antique grain bins for the conservation of cereals, common at that time in the "Capitanata", but with traces, up to today, only in Cerignola.
The old town (Keriniola) was built on the ruins of a settlement of 300 a.C., known with the name of Cerina. Situated near to the via Traiana, which connected Benevento to Brindisi, it became an important commercial centre. The antique district "Terra Vecchia" (Old Lands) built in the Middle Ages was developed on the Roman ruins of the city. Cerignola became an important centre under the Normans and stronghold for famous families such as the "Pignatelli".
In 1503 the surrounding lands were theatre of an important military campaign "the battle of Cerignola", between the French and the Spanish under the dominion of the Reign of the Two Sicilies. The victory was acclaimed to the Spanish, captained by Consalvo da Cordova.
The city is dominated by the Cathedral "Tonti" and its dome is visible at many km of distance. Of major interest is also the old cathedral, the Mother Church, built between the XI and the XII centuries and considered the most antique sacred monument of the district. There are a series of mansions and buildings of historical interest as they belonged to important noble families over the centuries, such as Palazzo Pavoncelli.
Not to miss the house where Pietro Mascagni lived between 1887 and 1892 and where he composed the major part of the lyrics of the "Cavalleria Rusticana".