The name probably derives from the Celtic name later latinized, "Cambius". It is a municipality in the province of Turin, located at the foot of the hills that also surround the regional main city. Originally it featured an agricultural vocation, once reached by the railway and therefore better connected with the surrounding areas, it has recently found the ideal conditions to be open also to important industrial activities. In the area have been developed mainly textile factories and this gave way to a progressive increase of the population. It also houses the Study and Research Center of Pininfarina.
The village has Roman origins, as evidenced by the discovery of remains of a villa of the III century A.D. but, this does not exclude the possibility that the area was already populated at earlier times by the Celts. The village was mentioned for the first time in a document of 959. It belonged to Ugo di Levaldigi, who sold the properties to Bernardo of Masio and then became property of the Monastery of St. Silvestro of Nonantola, near Modena. In 1034 it passed to the Counts of Briandate. During the Middle Ages Cambiano shared the fate of the nearby Chieri, to which, in 1248, it surrendered in exchange of protection. The village suffered repeatedly attacks and subsequent damage during the entire XIV century. In 1347 it submitted the domain of the Savoy and continued to be subject to attacks and raids during the war between the Savoy-Acaia and the Marquis of Monferrato. In the XV century, the last of the Savoy-Acaia heirs died and the town became part of the new Savoy state. In the XVII century it was granted in fief to the Scotti Family of Piacenza and later submitted the domain of the Borgarelli of Chieri. In the first half of the XVII century, the town was sacked again, this time by French troops during the civil war that involved the Savoy. In 1691 Cambiano was ceded to the Marquis of San Tommaso, who donated the fief to the Countess Tana; by the latter it was then granted to the Family San Martino-Provana. In the XVIII century the properties were bought by the Family Turinetti and finally, after being annexed by the Napoleonic era, in 1815 it returned to the Savoy.
Not to miss:
- the Parish of Saints Vincenzo and Anastasio, destroyed during a sack in the XVII century, it was rebuilt shortly afterwards. In the XVIII century the façade was remodeled by the architect Vittone. The Bell tower dates back to 1883 and was built using materials from the old bell tower. This medieval bell tower is the only survivor of the twin towers which were part of the main gateway entrance to the city. Once manned by sentries, it was the only access for those that intended to trade and commerce in town;
- the Castle of the Mosi and the Castle of the Mosetti, buildings dating from the XII century, located not very far apart and situated in the town's center.