A municipality in the province of Turin located in Val di Susa, Exilles borders with Val Chisone and with France, and is situated along a strategic route, from the military point of view, used since prehistoric times. The territory is divided in several villages, including: Deveys, Champbons Plantà, Morliere and St. Colombano. The latter, reported on maps since the XV century, was destroyed during the battle between Piedmont and the French in 1593. The temperate climate allows the successful cultivation of vines in the mountains areas and the natural beauty attract the interest of many tourists in all Seasons.
The town has ancient origins, a settlement was already present during the prehistoric times and the Celts, although the first fortified center can be traced back to the XII century. At that time the control of the territory belonged to the Counts of Albon. In the later centuries it passed the Piedmontesi and the French: at the end of the XVI century it was under the domain of Carlo Emanuele I of Savoy, and during the following century it returned under the rule of the French. After the Treaty of Utrecht it became a fortress of the Savoy and was destroyed by the French after the Treaty of Paris in the XVIII century. The fortress was rebuilt featuring the current structure in the XIX century, when it became imperative for the defense of borders.
Not to miss:
- the Church of St. Peter the Apostle, dating to the XI century, it features a major nave, two aisles and a simple façade, enriched with a fine Gothic portal, flanked by a late Romanesque Bell tower decorated with beautiful mullioned windows and topped by a pyramidal spire.
- the Chapel of St. Rocco of the XVII century.
- the Fortress, dating from the XII century, which was destroyed by French troops in the XVIII century and rebuilt from 1818 with technology solutions of the XIX century. It represented a strategic element through the centuries for its privileged location and enjoys a splendid view over the valley. Today, it is seat of the Civic museum.