Set along the slopes of the Amiata mount, Arcidosso, whose name derives from the latin words "arx" and "dossum", meaning fortess of the hill, is mentioned for the first time in a IX century document, testifying the presence of San Salvatore Abbey in this area. The town was conquered by the Aldobrandeschi family, the Sforza counts and by Siena, following its fortune.
The Aldobrandeschi castle, located in the summity of the historic centre, is now very different from the original fortress buil by the Longobards.
Among the religious monuments, we mention the Curch of San Niccolò, realised in the XII century and totally renowned in the XVII century, the Church of San Leonardo, built by the Benedectines in 1228 in Romanesque style and renowned during the following centuries, the Church of Sant'Andrea, with a beautiful sienese school fresco and the Cappuccini convent (XVI century).
We also suggest a visit to the old woolen mill, in operation until the Second World War, the Palazzo Pretorio in Montelaterone, the neogothic fountain of Fonti dal Poggiolo and the ancient walls of the town with its three gates (Porta dell'Orologio, Porta Talassese and Porta di Castello).