Tortoreto is a historic and popular seaside resort in the province of Teramo, which extends South towards the mouth of the river Salinello. It consists of two parts: the old town, Tortoreto Alto, located in the hinterland and Tortoreto Lido, developed since the early years of last century. Although some findings evidence the presence of a settlement in the Prehistoric Ages, the town was founded by the Romans (in the medieval village it is possible to visit the remains of a Roman villa of the II century B.C.), after the fall of the Roman Empire it was sacked several times by the Barbarians. The territory was later assigned to the Abbey of Monte Cassino and, around the year 1000, it became a Norman feud. The town was ceded to the Acquaviva and, finally, included into the Kingdom of Naples.
In addition to a 3 km well kept and sandy coastline with a charming tree-lined promenade, not to miss:
- the characteristic historical center and its three districts (Terravecchia, Terranova and Borgo). Terravecchia is the oldest, fortified by walls, between the Clock Tower and Palazzo Liberati. Here were erected the ancient Parish of St. Euphemia, whose church was entitled to St. Anthony at first, and to St. Augustine later. Terranova is attached by a brick bridge to Terravecchia and ends with the fortified Tower and the Provost of St. Nicholas. The Borgo, instead, develops around 1400 just outside the main centre's walls towards the Carmelite church (formerly entitled to San Rocco).
- the Church of San Rocco outside the walls, originally built in the XVI century and restored in Neoclassical style in the XIX century;
- the Church of Mercy, built in 1348, with Renaissance frescoes by Giacomo Bonfini of Patrignone, a pupil of the Perugino;
- the Church of St. Nicholas, founded before the year 1000 and rebuilt in 1534;
- the Baroque Church of Saint Augustine, features a nave covered by vaults, and enriched with fine stucco decorations. Inside, it preserves a painting by Mattia Preti depicting the Baptism of St. Augustine "(1653).