A small town in the province of Caserta, near the border with Lazio and Molise, San Pietro Infine is perched on a rock outcrop surrounded by a charming environment. The discovery of fossils attest that the ancient limestone mountains were submerged by the waters of a prehistoric lake. The town's name reveals, without doubt, the devotion of the local inhabitants to St. Peter's, while the word "Infine" derives from its location on ancient boundaries, when it was part of the Territories of San Benedetto.
Contended between the Osci and the Samnites, during the third Samnite War, the territory was occupied by the Romans. After the fall of the Roman Empire, the town was severely damaged during the Barbarian invasions and later, it submitted the domain influenced by the monasteries of Monte Cassino and San Vincenzo al Volturno. Of the medieval old town, unfortunately, only a few ruins remain, due to 15 consecutive days of air raids during the Second World War.
Sites of Interest:
- the remains of the old medieval city walls, punctuated by towers;
- the remains of walls of the Osco-Samnite populations in area of Sant'Eustachio;
- part of the route of the antique Via Latina, which connected the Sannio area with Rome;
- the remains of the apse of the Church of Santa Maria del Piano;
- la Taverna di San Cataldo, now abandoned, which hosted over the centuries famous personalities, such as: Francesco I, King of the Two Sicilies, in 1824, and Charles III;
- the Church of Maria Santissima dell'Acqua, with a beautiful XIV century fresco;
- the remains of the Church of San Sebastiano, made famous by the film director Mario Monicelli with the film "The Great War" interpreted by Vittorio Gassman and Alberto Sordi;
- the remains of the ancient Church of San Michele Arcangelo, already mentioned in the XII century, and for a long time, was the most important religious building of the old town center;
- the Church of St Nicholas, consecrated in 1954, inside which is preserves the miraculous wooden Cross, that previously belonged to the Church of St. Michele Arcangelo;
- the Arch of the Barons, in the Gothic style;
- the Old Town, on the southern slopes of Mount Sambucaro, which has been designated by the municipality, as a "Monument of Peace", reflecting the destructive and tragic events that struck the area during the Second World War.