Rised along the left bank of the Arno river, the development of the village of Rignano sull'Arno is strictly related to the building of a bridge on the Arno river occurred on the XIV-th century for the will of the Republic of Florence. The bridge, joining the two banks, promoted the trading also to the hinterland.
Along the next centuries the historical events in Rinignano sull'Arno were related to those ones of the bridge, being this latter both the economic fortune of the village and the main cause of its decline lasted up to the XV-th century.
By the coming of the Medici's family to the power the first works for the reclamation of the territory were started so to restore the lands made marshy because of the flows of the river. The Medici also built numerous villas that today make Rinignano sull'Arno a wonderful place to visit.
Thanks both to the closeness of Florence and its protection and also the fertility of its lands, Rinignano sull'Arno increased its economy so to become in 1773, under the Lorena's domination, one of the most flourishing community of the Florentine countryside.