The name derives from the Latin word "Podonium". A mountain village in the province of Novara, situated on a hill in the South-Western part of the Cusio area, bordering with the territory of Vercelli and the Verbano-Cusio-Ossola area, not far from Lake Orta, Maggiore and of Mergozzo. The town is famous for beautiful wall paintings.
The area was colonized by the Romans as evidenced by a document of the XIX century, in which reference is made to the find of a funeral stele. At the fall of the Roman Empire, the area was invaded by the Barbarians, so the local inhabitants fortified their settlements and allied with the Bishop of Novara, to defend themselves from these frequent raids. From the X century to the second half of the XVIII century, Pogno submitted the domain of the Bishop of Novara, until it was ceded to the Savoy. The first historical mention of the town dates back to 1020. It was also directly involved in the conflict between Spain and France for domination of Italy. In 1522, after the Battle of Bicocca, where French troops were defeated, the Sforza occupied the Riviera area, while a few years later, the Visconti raided the entire Orta area. With the defeat of the French at Pavia, the Novarese area and the Duchy of Milan became part of the possessions of Spain.
Not to miss:
- the Parish church of Saints Peter and Paul, built in the XIII century and enlarged in the XVIII century. It features a façade preceded by a porch, within three aisles divided by columns and a precious stone baptismal font dating from the XVI century. It is flanked by a tall stone Bell Tower with a square base, embellished by mullioned windows with granite columns, rebuilt in 1751;
- the Oratory of St. Bernard in Prerro, built in the XVI century and enlarged in the early XVIII century, then again in the XIX century. It features a Greek cross shaped plan with a lantern and dome. Iside are preserved several valuable paintings;
- the Oratory of St. Anthony, built in the XVII century, of simple forms, it is preceded by a portico with four columns. The entrance is surrounded by a stone doorway and flanked by two windows. It preserves inside paintings of great artistic and historical value;
- the XVII century Oratory of Queen of Martyrs, situated just outside the village, a small building in Baroque style;
- the XV century Church of San Bernardo in Berzonno, which features a main entrance topped by a bezel which depicts St. Bernard. Inside it features a one nave plan and the altar has been restored in the late XVIII century;
- the XV century Oratory of St. Catherine with its three naves and an XVIII century balustrade in red marble and black stone;
- the XVII century Oratory of San Michele Arcangelo in Berzonno;
- the Oratory of the Holy Trinity;
- the town's walls depicted by local artists.