Pelago has very ancient origins. It is supposed that the territory was populated sine Prehistorical Ages.
The foundation of the village occurred on the Etruscan Age and continued developing during the Roman Age up to consolidate along the Early Middle Ages around a castle belonging to the Guidi Counts, who owned numerous properties in the area.
During the Middle Ages rose the first houses and fortified castles placed on the numerous hills covering the whole territory. At that time the Abbey of Vallombrosa was built too. During the next centuries the village of Pelago was in the middle of a quarrel among the local lordships and the powerful city of Florence for conquering the village that, placed in a strategic position allowed to control the roads below.
After a period of Florentine domination the quarrel ended on 1445 with the Pope's intervention by a Papal Bull that assigned the village of Pelago to the local family of Cattani, who held the control for a long. Later Pelago was annexed to the Republic of Florence that, thanks to the action of the Medici's Grand Dukes, embellished the town by building new noble buildings and restoring the ancient ones. The Medici's domiantion ended at the beginning of the XVIII-th century when the last Medici's descendant died. Then Pelago passed by heritance to the Lorena's Dukes, who operating a wise policy contributed to the economic growing of the village.
Among the most important monuments to see in Pelago we point out here the Chiesa di San Clemente (Saint Clement Church), the Chiesa di San Francesco (Saint Francis Church), the Palazzo Stupan (Stupan Palace) and the Museo d'Arte Sacra (Holy Art Museum).